This past weekend was a HUGE work weekend for the camper. I painted the ceiling a nice warm grey, patched the open spots (temporary fix), gave the outside a fresh stripe, and installed these sexy dark wood floors. The flooring is adhesive vinyl panels that were very easy to install, and cut be cut with heavy duty scissors. Now, I have to wait until my dad brings it to Athens on the 20th of August. Hopefully by then, Mike the handyman will have finished the exterior lights, installed two new sconces, and fixed a couple power issues we have been having. Then all that is left for me to do is decorate!
this weekend was a productive one to say the least. i came across a photo on pinterest where a couple took out the dinette in their camper and put in a desk instead, which made so much since. since it will mostly be just me, maybe one other person, sleeping in the camper, why take up a ton of floor space for a dinette? Plus, making and upholstering the cushions was going to be a big expense and I would have had to remake the dinette table. Me, my dad, and his crowbar took out the entire dinette in 30 minutes while keeping almost all of it intact in case the next owner wants to reinstall.
In addition to the table, we wanted to build a cabinet to go over part of the wheel well and provide some extra storage. who knew building a cabinet would talk so long! On saturday, we met up with local handyman Mike who has a lot of experience with campers to talk about replacing some taillights and gas lines. He was a super guy and was SO MUCH CHEAPER than the dealership. I can't wait to have working taillights and to be able to use my stove. Mike said that me and dad were fully capable of patching and sealing the roof ourselves, which is going to be a lot of money saved, so we tackled that this weekend as well.
now left to do is patch and paint the ceiling as well as a couple other spots, install the floors, paint the exterior, and decorate!
Recently I finished the second coat of paint and put on some of my new knobs from anthropologie! I love the way that it is looking. Obviously, we still need flooring, lighting, a new dinette table, cushions, and lots of other stuff, but it is looking up!
I am thinking for this work weekend, I am going to look at taking out the dinette and making it into a desk area so that I have more floor space.
I spent the last two days prepping, priming, and painting the interior of the camper. It turned out to be a much bigger project than anticipated, and I would not have been able to accomplish it in time without the help of my best friend, Amanda. I still need to do one more coat but ran out of time, so that will have to wait until the next work weekend. However, look how much brighter and more open it feels! I love it. I bought "Winter White" from Benjamin Moore and it ended up being the perfect shade of cool white. I am thinking of maybe doing an accent wall with wallpaper or painting the kitchenette a different color, but I wanted it to be all white before I tackled any of that.
My dad and I picked the camper up on a Saturday and immediately drove her home and got to work. We started out by spraying her down with a bleach solution to kill any mildew and then scrubbed her down with dish soap and water. Then we vacuumed the interior and took out the mattresses and curtains. After that, we set off a bug bomb and a couple mouse traps and headed in for the night.
The next morning, we woke up with the goals to rip out the carpet and assess what was going on with the water damaged ceiling and roof. We started out by vacuuming up all the dead bugs and airing the place out. Luckily there were no mice in the traps, so we think that there is only evidence left from past infestations. Taking the carpet out was surprising easy. We used a flat shovel and a sharp box cutter to score the edges. Underneath was the original vinyl floor! It is cool, but will not be staying,
Next up, we started to peel back the vinyl on the rotted part of the ceiling and quickly realized the wood was still wet... When I bought the camper, the owner told me that the leak had been repaired, but that was definitely not the case. We used a crow bar and a jig saw to yank and cut down the damaged wood.
I have to take a break from working on it this weekend, but next weekend we are planning to take it to Mid State RV, whom my dad is friends with the owner, to get the roof/ceiling checked out, get new tail lights, and get an overall safety check.
Check back in next week for more progress! -Kristin
Meet Lucille, my 1972 Aristocrat Landmark camper. I bought the first camper I saw, which I will admit was very impulsive of me (like I went from wanting one to buying one in 5 days). However, I was looking on craigslist A LOT for those 5 days, so when I saw this camper, I knew that it is was the right size for me and was within my budget.
I payed $1800 for Lucille, which I think was a little too much, but hey, I was really excited. Plus the previous owner let me keep it on his property for a week until my dad could come with the truck. It has a full bathroom with working plumbing, a new hot water heater, working electric & propane, and is all around in pretty good shape. That being said, I knew it had some previous water damage that needed to be addressed (more on that later), and it needs a new battery, tires (if I want to travel a distance), and a lot of TLC.
It turns out that this model Aristocrat is super rare. Not in the "more valuable" type rare, but in the "I can't find any information or parts" rare. Apparently the most popular aristocrat camper is the lo-liner, but they never made anything else that was very popular and the company went out of business in 1973. I kind of like that it is rare though. It feels unique and independent, which is how I like to think of myself. Here are all the interior pictures I took before we made any changes: