My dad and I picked the camper up on a Saturday and immediately drove her home and got to work. We started out by spraying her down with a bleach solution to kill any mildew and then scrubbed her down with dish soap and water. Then we vacuumed the interior and took out the mattresses and curtains. After that, we set off a bug bomb and a couple mouse traps and headed in for the night.
The next morning, we woke up with the goals to rip out the carpet and assess what was going on with the water damaged ceiling and roof. We started out by vacuuming up all the dead bugs and airing the place out. Luckily there were no mice in the traps, so we think that there is only evidence left from past infestations. Taking the carpet out was surprising easy. We used a flat shovel and a sharp box cutter to score the edges. Underneath was the original vinyl floor! It is cool, but will not be staying,
Next up, we started to peel back the vinyl on the rotted part of the ceiling and quickly realized the wood was still wet... When I bought the camper, the owner told me that the leak had been repaired, but that was definitely not the case. We used a crow bar and a jig saw to yank and cut down the damaged wood.
I have to take a break from working on it this weekend, but next weekend we are planning to take it to Mid State RV, whom my dad is friends with the owner, to get the roof/ceiling checked out, get new tail lights, and get an overall safety check.
Check back in next week for more progress! -Kristin